Saturday, November 5, 2011

New Nursing Service Records online

Thanks to The National Archives, UK (TNA) I have been able to find out much more than I previously knew about my great aunt, Ida JOHNS. TNA has just published the service records of over 15,000 nurses covering from 1902 to 1922. They are indexed and are available for download from DocumentsOnline.

When my grandmother left England for Australia in the 1920s she left behind her brother and sisters, including Ida. She never saw them again, however, she spoke fondly of Ida and was proud that she had been a nurse during the First World War. Ida never married and I knew little else about her, but have now downloaded her 46 page nursing service file from TNA and have been delighted to find many new details of her life.

Ida Mary JOHNS

1 comment:

Julie Goucher said...

Thanks for the interesting post. I nipped on last evening and downloaded one record free of charge. This morning it appear the charge of £3.50 is back!

Post a Comment